Saturday, May 21, 2011

You knew this post was coming...

...the post about food!

I have tried a couple of different Hungarian dishes as well as Hungarain versions of familiar food this past six weeks.

After church one week we went out for an ice cream cone. Hungarian ice cream is creamier and softer than in America (more like frozen yogurt) and is sweeter than in the U.S.

The ice cream shop...

Hungarian ice cream...

Landon eating some ice cream...

We also went to a Hungarian's house (a friend of the Ridgeway's) and she fed us some Hungarian food. We had some yummy appetizers (nothing like some goose fat on bread with a little paprika sprinkled on top) and a stew that consisted of potatoes and sausage. 

Kotchious Kolosh, a Hungarian pastry, is also super yummy! It's bread with Cinnamon, chocolate, nuts, or just sugar on it. 

Making Kolosh...

 The final product...


I've also experienced some European coffee. By that I mean that the size of the coffee is way smaller than in the states. A medium was maybe two ounces of coffee (vs. 16oz in the states). It's great coffee, by the way, just smaller. 

Jo Reggelt ("Good morning" in Hungarian) is a brand of breakfast food that is quite popular. Basically, you're eating cookies for breakfast -- what's not to like?

Also, lots and lots of Nutella! I know you can get that in the states but it's widely available here. What is less available, however, is penut butter. And the PB in Hungary is much more organic than in the states (less sugar, more peanuts). 

Overall, I have enjoyed the food here. Sure, there are some thing in the U.S. that I would hate to live without (icing, granola bars, chocolate chips, pop tarts, etc.)  but trying some Hungarian food this past six weeks has been lots of fun.

Mary Kate




2 comments:

  1. Does this mean you want peanut butter and poptarts when you get home for breakfast??xoxo Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm. Ice cream. I probably wouldn't have noticed the difference in Hungarian or American ice cream, because I usually wolf it down too fast to really taste it XD

    ReplyDelete