Saturday, May 7, 2011

Librarian by day, a little lost by night

Since my last post I have gone to work at the library two or three times. So far my jobs have consisted mostly of cataloging books and dusting shelves. As much as I love hanging out with the Ridgeway family, I also love being at the library and in the city.

To get to the library, I take a bus and a tram. On Tuesday, Rusty went with me to the library but left around lunch (I was going to stay until closing time). He told me the numbers of the tram and bus I needed to take to get back to the Ridgeway's house and I wrote them down. That evening I was going to take public transportation by myself for the first time. Somehow, I ended up writing down the wrong number and therefore got onto the wrong tram! About halfway through the route I had a hunch that I had taken the wrong tram. I went ahead and stayed on, though, hoping and praying that it was, indeed, the correct tram. At the end of the route, I couldn't recognize the place at all... I was lost. By myself. In a foreign country. I went up to the driver and as he got out of his little box I asked him for directions. I hoped the driver could somehow tell me where to go since my Hungarian is limited to about ten phrases. As it turns out, he spoke English, told me which bus to go onto next, and I made it home an hour and a half after leaving the library (almost twice as long as it should take me). But, I made it. While lost I just kept praying. I never panicked, just prayed. I will admit I got nervous, maybe even a bit scared, but I made it. And, my confidence was regained on Wednesday and Friday when I took public transportation by myself again and made it without any mistakes or delays. I thank God that I am safe -- He is in control!

On a happier note, I visited the Budapest Great Synagogue and St. Stephen's Basilica on Wednesday. Both were beautiful!

Inside St. Stephen's...

The top of St. Stephen's has an amazing view of the city...

Mary Kate

"Do not fear, for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand." 
-Isaiah 41:10

5 comments:

  1. Mary Kate! You are my hero and I love you and your spunky, faithful self!! Enjoying so much "following" your adventures -- love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Mary Kate! You handled that situation with the maturity of someone twice your age. Praise God the driver spoke English! Love you and we are thinking of you. :)
    Love,
    Ms. Wiktor and Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang girl!! That's legit. Praise God for His guidance. Miss you girl. Been praying for you daily my dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! Sounds like your having fun! I'm praying for you girlie. May the Lord be a lamp unto your feet and a light unto your path. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, girlie! What a story. ...and what a witness to your maturity in Christ. You know who's 'got your back' don't you? I'm certain it was no 'coincidence' that drive spoke English. Sweetie, you will never be the same after all of this. God is teaching and growing you in ways unimaginable and I'm THRILLED that we have this medium to hear of Him while He's working and to rejoice with you in what you are experiencing. You are one amazing kiddo!

    ReplyDelete