Monday, November 21, 2011

No Matter What

Since Thanksgiving is in just two days, I've decided to list a few of the 'things' that I have and most Hungarians do not that am thankful for.

  • National pride. The United States is certainly not a perfect country, but I am still proud to be a citizen of the USA. Hungarians don't have the same sense of national pride that many Americans do. They don't sing their national anthem at every sporting event and they don't say their pledge of allegiance every morning at school. Americans do those things all the time and if someone chooses not to participate, they are often chastised and called "unpatriotic". Although I think a lot of Hungarian's are proud of the place they live, they are not proud of their government and all of their history.
  • A "Don't give up, we can still do this!" attitude. Although not all Hungarians carry an attitude of defeat, many of them do because of the years of communism that they faced during the last century. Americans usually never give up even if there is literally no chance of success; Hungarians often stop trying if they think that they might fail. 
  • Faith. Last, but defininately not least, I'm super thankful for the faith that I have in Jesus Christ. Without faith in Him, I know that I would feel purposeless in this life. With God, I know why I'm here and I know my mission. So many Hungarians do not have faith in God (church attendance is at about 20%); they don't have a purpose in life. This is why we need missionaries here in Hungary like the Ridgeways who can be here for many years, build relationships with Hungarians, and bring them to an understanding of the Gospel. It's not an easy task and in this country, it's usually not going to be a 20-minute conversion to Christ. It takes time and patience, but the results last an eternity. 
 
Playing a game during "The Lamb"

I will admit, it hasn't been easy to be away from home for three months. Some days I'm bursting with joy; other days I seriously miss my home. But God says to give thanks no matter what. Even during the bad days, I can always manage to thank God for the opportunity to come to Hungary, to learn life lessons, and to have my eyes opened to just how blessed I am. God has been stretching me, comforting me, and blessing me through this experience. Thanksgiving week serves as a great reminder of all that He has given and is giving to me each and every day.

One more note of thanks: I truly appreciate all of the support through emails, cards, facebook comments, phone calls, and prayers that I have recieved from friends and family ever since I embarked on my first trip to Hungary. Thank you for your support! It means a lot and brings me comfort on the good days and bad.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Mary Kate

"Give thanks in all circumstances,"
1 Thessalonians 5:18a

No comments:

Post a Comment